This Page

has been moved to new address

Hey, it's serious talk time again, kids!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
random and pressing details: Hey, it's serious talk time again, kids!

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hey, it's serious talk time again, kids!


So, some of you know where this post is going already...  It's time to talk about HIV/AIDS again.  

I like to pretend sometimes that more than five people read my blog.  Therefore, I'm gonna give some information to you like it's gonna reach people who need to have it.  

My area of the cornfield is pretty rural and remote.  The nearest "big" city is St. Louis, MO.  Other than that, our big attraction is Southern Illinois University (Go Salukis!).  That's not to say that we're completely back-ass-wards, but hey.... our resources are sometimes hard to find.

This is a link to the Southern Illinois HIV Consortium.  It actually functions, I believe, under the umbrella of the Jackson County Health Department.  I know it services the South 19 counties of Illinois.  Among the services offered are testing, counselling, treatment adherence support, education and awareness programs.  I don't have permission to quote their mission goals, but let me just say that they are committed to helping those who have HIV live full and satisfying lives.  They offer programs encompassing both medical and social services.

Next, here's some information on an upcoming date.  National HIV Testing Day is coming up June 17.  I would love it if everyone who reads this post would encourage folks to get tested and know their status.  Having said this, I can hear the grumbling already! "I don't know anyone in a high risk group.  I don't want to get into other people's business." Blahblahblahblahblah!

Let me ask a few questions.....
Have you ever had even the slightest suspicion of your partner's fidelity?  Have you ever gotten "caught up" in the moment?  Are you sure your partner never had high risk sex or used injectable drugs before you hooked up?  Are you SURE?

Get tested!  Know your status! Know your partner's status!

Finally, I am still championing The Red Pump Project, and in fact, am the Ambassador for the Cornfield and surrounding area.  I would love my local chicas to get behind this project, too.  We could do some girls' nite out kinda stuff and promote education, prevention and awareness at the same time!  Check out the website and get involved.  Shoot me ideas about events and activities we could get behind!  I'd love to hear from you!  Hit me up on my e-mail amymay117@gmail.com


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Naturally Alise said...

yes, you gotta keep pushing folks to stay informed. You should always know your status even if you think you are safe... ya never know...

May 17, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger amymay said...

Thanks Alise!

Side note: I have had the chance to actually interact on a professional level with the Consortium... they're a good resource.

May 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home