This Page

has been moved to new address

Haiti

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
random and pressing details: Haiti

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Haiti



Hey y'all... I know, I'm tardy for the party--again.  But at least I'm here!

I won't recap the devastation and destruction and the loss of life, safety and health that Haiti has experienced over these last days.  You have to be deaf, blind and willfully ignorant not to know what has happened there.  I will reiterate the need for continuing prayer, support and donations that nation holds.  If you haven't given already, or if you want to again, here is a link to a Google page listing organizations helping in the relief efforts.

Eli and I watched the Hope for Haiti Telethon last night.  At one point, after seeing the images of the people rescued from the rubble, the dead and the injured, the total chaos of broken buildings and disrupted life, E had a flash of panic.

"Mama! Are there kids there with their moms AND dads dead?"
"Yes, baby, there are..."
"Do they have grandpas and grandmas?"
"Some of them..."
"Who's taking care of them? The ones with no more family??"
"Well, there are people there trying to find all the kids who need someone to care for them, but right now, some of them are doing their best to take care of themselves."
"I bet they're scared and sad, Mama.  What happens when somebody finds them?"
"The people who are there to help will try to help them find some family.  They'll keep the kids in camps, for now, and places called orphanages later, so they can take care of them."
"But what if they can't find ANY family?"
"Some of the kids might get new families.  Other kids will live in orphanages until they grow up."

Note:  At this point, Mama is becoming uncomfortable and guilt ridden, so I sent another text to the Red Cross and one to Yele Haiti for good measure... I'm not even gonna think about my phone bill right now.

"If something happens to you, will I go to an orphanage?"
"No, honey... you have your grandpa, Aunt Dana, Aunt Kimberly, Uncle Mikey....."
"Marc?"
"Yeah, Marc, too... and Shannan, you have a lot of family that would love to give you a home."
"I hope nothing happens to you until you get real old..."
"Me too, son."  (this earned him a laugh and a side-eye).

I thought the conversation was over.  I was pretty sure that the crux of the issue was E's fear of being left orphaned to fend for himself.  I was wrong.  Half an hour later, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Mama, can we let some of the Haiti orphans come stay at our house? I'll share my stuff...."

I tweeted about this last line.  It put me in tears.  I don't know what I ever did in this life to deserve such a great kid, but for all of his faults (and he's got his share, trust me...) Eli's heart is solid gold.

I had no idea how to answer him, so I told him that I would have to find out how we could help the kids.  I'm hoping that answer buys me a little time.

In the meanwhile, I'll give what I can, pray all I can, and be thankful for the life I have.


And by the way, I don't care who declares that the "rescue work" is over, where God wills it, life will continue... so will the "rescues" even if the powers-that-be declare that it's "recovery mode" now.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an AWESOME son!!!

THe emotions can be overwhelming watching such disasters. I felt that way watching the aftermath of the Tsunami in Sri Lanka and Katrina, which I had a personal stake with so much of my family in N.O. Which is why after the initial broadcasts I have avoided news coverage and online stories. I will be making a donation soon.

January 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home